Hunt Technique Catalog | Playbook | Database


In my first post I went over some threat hunting models. For the R&D hunts, I mentioned that it would require every hunt to be cataloged. Then I started to try to create the outcome document from an R&D Hunt to share it with everyone and ran into a terminology roadblock of my own making.

I couldn't seem to make progress on outlining the expected outcome from R&D Hunts, at least not in a concise way that would be easy for my team and my leadership to comprehend. So, I decided to use writing a post to walk myself through the process and the terminology.

Campaigns & Hunts

Campaign

  • Description: Two or more hunts with a common objective
  • Outcome: A strategic product consolidating the findings from all hunts

Hunt

  • Description: 1 or more hunt techniques with a common objective
  • Outcome: A report containing actionable findings

Hunting Techniques

Hunting Technique

Description: A hypothesis applied to a specific domain, for a specific datasource, using a specific tactic

Outcome: Unit of work for a hunter

For me, the hunting technique is what the hunter does to test the hypothesis and with a favorable outcome it becomes a skill in her toolbox. This differs from what sqrrl calls hunting techniques, but I couldn't come up with a more appropriate word, so as you will see below I switch their terminology to be tactics.

The hunting techniques are what need to be cataloged for a scalable hunt program, so that is why I was getting so stuck trying to come up with the documentation after an R&D Hunt, its documenting the hunting technique itself. 

Now I was able to dive into what type of metadata I wanted to store with each hunting technique.

The Deep Dive



The hunting technique is the way to describe and therefore document what a hunter does. On the right side of the image I have what I consider the main attributes of the technique and over on the left I have additional metadata that, while isn't required, I could see being useful when building out the playbook or catalog.

I have created a spreadsheet that smaller organizations or individual hunters could use to track their work, but larger organizations will likely need a database. I have yet to use the tracker, so I am sure some modifications are needed so please feel free to share ideas or mods you made in the comments, or if the tracker was just a waste of time.

Dashboard View

My DBA days were rooted in relational databases, but this seemed like a good candidate for me to try out a document-oriented database, MongoDB, for the larger organizations. I will create another post specifically about this endeavor because its just going to take me a little longer, but progress will be in my GitHub. If you are interested collaborating on the HT Trackr, let's do it.

Happy Hunting,
~K


September 6, 2017 - Update

@Cyb3rWard0g gave me a new word that I like better than technique and allows me not to rename what sqrrl has already worked to establish, which I like way better -- Hunting Analytic. So I made some new images and will be using that in the database I'm creating.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Applying Detection to the Attacker Lifecycle

Threat Hunting Team Maturity Model

Building Operational Threat Hunting Models